A healthy take on chocolate brownies, they are gluten and refined sugar free!
- 2 free range eggs (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 cups pitted dates, soaked in boiling water with 1 tsp bicarbonate soda. Leave for 10 minutes and drain well
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- 1 cup hemp flour (If you don’t have hemp flour use almond meal, oats or ground almonds)
- 3/4 cup raw unsweetened cacao powder
- 2 tbs Stevia or your choice of sweetener (adjust to preferred taste)
Ganache Topping (optional)
- 50 grams dark quality chocolate
- 1/2 cup full fat thickened cream
Berry Topping (optional)
- 1 cup frozen berries
- Pre-heat oven to 170° (fan forced) and line a slice tray with baking paper. Grease any gaps with coconut oil.
- Place the eggs, sweetener, oil and dates in a food processor and blend until you have a smooth paste.
- Add all other ingredients and pulse food processor to combine. Process for an additional minute to ensure all ingredients are combined well (push mixture down from the sides with a spatula if you need to during this process).
- Spoon into prepared tin and smooth over with the back of a wet spoon (to prevent sticking). Add the berries in during this step if you choose to.
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until firm and skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
To Make Ganache:
- Place chocolate in a saucepan at a low heat to melt. Once all chocolate is melted, remove from the heat.
- Add the cream to chocolate and slowly whisk until the mixture is silky smooth.
- Spread over slice with a butter knife or spatula. Allow to set in the refrigerator for 20 minutes before cutting into squares.
*Store in an airtight container in the freezer (each brownie will take approx. 3 minutes to defrost).
These brownies can be enjoyed warm or cold depending on your preference!
Satisfying, sweet and delicious!
Thanks Mikhaela for the delicious recipe!
Follow TheFitInterest on Instagram and Facebook for free unrefined sugar recipes.